SAN FRANCISCO - You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but high levels of it can be deadly.
It's produced whenever any fuel like gas, wood, oil, kerosene or charcoal is burned.
If appliances that burn fuel are well-maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. But if they're not used correctly or working properly, dangerous levels of CO can result.
Hundreds of people die every year from CO poisoning, according to the California State Fire Marshall.
Watch the video above for ways to make sure your family is safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.
As of July 1, 2011 the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill - SB 183) requires owners of all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide detectors within the home.
Click here to learn more about carbon monoxide safety.