Protest held in San Francisco over President Trump's immigration policy

Monday, April 24, 2017 02:51PM
Over 100 people held signs defending San Francisco as a sanctuary city on Sunday, with some signs reading: "No hate, no fear, immigrants and refugees are welcome here."


SAN JOSE, Calif. - Over 100 people held signs and chanted Sunday to defend San Francisco as a sanctuary city.

Some signs read: "No hate, no fear, immigrants and refugees are welcome here."

ABC7 News was at the ICE office on Sansome Street for the protest against Trump administration's immigration policy.

They stood in solidarity with Juan Montes, a Dreamer or undocumented immigrant brought to California as a child who was the first protected immigrant to be deported back in February.

RELATED: Immigration rights supporters cry foul after Dreamer deported

A lawsuit has been filed against the agency, and attorneys for Montes say they're tired of waiting to hear back from the federal government.

Montes' attorneys say he is the first DACA recipient to be deported under the Trump Administration. "We're looking for answers. We haven't gotten them for weeks and weeks, despite repeated requests to the federal government," Nora Preciado with the National Immigration Law Center said.

Montes had been protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy - a status for undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children.

But, attorneys say he was deported in the middle of the night without access to a lawyer back in February.

The Department of Homeland Security says it has no record of that encounter, but say they deported Montes after he was caught trying to re-enter the country illegally. Attorneys are now suing to find out what exactly happened.

Trump has promised to end undocumented immigration into the country, but has wavered on the specifics of the DACA policy.

Prior to all of this, Montes had been re-approved for DACA status through 2018. Court documents note that the status of DACA recipients is terminated if the individual leaves the U.S. without receiving official permission. The Department of Homeland Security claims that Montes did that, but his lawyers are disputing that claim.

Click here to read the full court documents in Montes' case.

ABC7 News Reporter Chris Nguyen contributed to this story.
(Copyright ©2017 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.)
Outbrain