Faulty stove blamed for mobile home fire

April 25, 2008 5:42:39 PM PDT
A fire in a Guerneville area mobile home that killed a family's two pets was caused by a faulty wood-burning stove, Russian River Fire Department Battalion Chief Jim Greule said this morning.

The 11:13 p.m. fire Wednesday caused $75,000 damage, Greule said. A cat was found dead at the scene and a dog that was rescued and revived later died in a fire that burned most of a doublewide mobile home at 14160 Old Cazadero Road.

Russian River Fire District Capt. Travis Wood said the four occupants smelled smoke and tried to put out the fire with a garden hose and extinguisher.

Four people, including a child, lived in the residence. Tenants said the wall around the wood stove began burning, Greule said.

A bedroom at the end of the mobile home was spared fire damage but 75 percent of the mobile home was damaged, Wood said.

The fire was contained in about 30 minutes and firefighters left around 1:15 a.m. Thursday, Wood said.

Firefighters from Forestville, Monte Rio and Cal Fire also responded to the blaze.


Load Comments