Faulty light was source of apartment fire

June 13, 2008 12:00:00 AM PDT
A malfunctioning florescent light fixture in a kitchen ceiling started a fire that destroyed four apartment units and damaged four others Wednesday afternoon, Tiburon Fire Marshal Ron Barney said this morning. Damage is estimated at $2 million, he said.

The three-alarm fire was reported at 2:31 p.m. in the three-story building at 55 Marinero Circle. The fire started in the second floor of apartment 204 in the middle of the 18-unit building, Barney said. No one was home at the time, Barney said.

Two other apartments sustained partial damage and two others sustained water damage, Barney said. Three of the units in the building were vacant.

All 18 units were affected because power to them was shut off, Barney said. Water was being restored to the units Thursday and Pacific Gas & Electric Co. will restore electricity and gas service when water is available again, Barney said.

Firefighters from Tiburon, Mill Valley, Corte Madera, Kentfield, and the Southern Marin Fire Protection District and Marin County Fire Department helped battle the flames.

Some firefighters were sent to the hillside behind the apartment building to make sure the flames didn't spread there, Barney said Wednesday. One minor injury was reported, Barney said.


Load Comments