Hundreds attend job fair in Concord

December 17, 2008 4:21:45 PM PST
Hundreds of people looking for work showed up at an invitation-only job fair in Concord Wednesday morning.

The event is part of Governor Schwarzenegger's $10 million initiative to put people back to work and stimulate the economy. The Employment Development Department tried to match unemployed workers in the construction, mortgage and finance industries with potential employers. "I'm going to go see Comcast and one or two of the other companies I've checked off on the list they gave us," said Gail Megdadi. 45 employers were at the job fair including Safeway, BART and Macys. There was no shortage of laid off workers looking to connect with them. "We thought that we would open it up to as many people as we possibly could. We thought that we would get you know 4, 500 and so far we are at 850 in the first hour-and-a-half," said Diane Ferrari with the Employment Development Department. The final count at the end of the day was well over 2000 jobseekers.


Load Comments