Woman injured after cigarette starts fire

December 27, 2008 1:30:38 PM PST
A woman was hospitalized after a fire likely started by a cigarette at her mobile home in San Leandro Friday night, according to the Alameda County Fire Department.

The one-alarm fire was reported at 9:42 p.m. at 1511 150th Ave., according to Alameda County Fire Department Battalion Chief Ron Figuera, who said firefighters arrived on scene four minutes later.

The woman suffered minor burns to her hands and feet and was taken to Eden Medical Center to be treated for her injuries, Figuera said.

The fire was under control by about 9:55 p.m., destroying the victim's mobile home as well as damaging at least 50 percent of the two adjacent mobile homes, according to Figuera.

The American Red Cross will provide shelter and assistance to the victim and possibly to the neighbors whose homes were damaged but were not home at the time of the fire, Figuera said.

Figuera said that the blaze was most likely ignited by a cigarette, according to a preliminary investigation.


Load Comments