Fire destroys mobile home

January 19, 2009 9:55:06 PM PST
A mother and daughter suffered burns in a fire that destroyed their mobile home northwest of Santa Rosa on Sunday morning, according to the Windsor Fire Department.

Yvette Ott suffered burns to both legs and her 3-year-old daughter Maria Theresa's hair was singed in the blaze, Battalion Chief Joe Giordani said.

The girl was released from Children's Hospital in Oakland on Sunday and Ott was taken to the St. Francis Burn Center in San Francisco, Giordani said.

Ott's father John Kaufman reported the fire at 1757 Willowside Road near Piner Road around 7 a.m. He owns the property and lives in a single-family home on the premises, Giordani said.

Ott's husband Anthony awoke to what sounded like wind and everyone managed to escape the blaze, Giordani said. Yvette Ott was probably burned from the heat of the fire when she became confused and tried to escape through another door, Giordani said.

The singlewide, 12-by-40-foot mobile home was fully involved when the first engine arrived, Giordani said.

The fire started in the front of the mobile home adjacent to the kitchen. The family said their electric power had been surging on and off recently and an electric short in the wiring to the 40-year-old mobile home is suspected to have caused the blaze, Giordani said.

There were no smoke detectors in the mobile home, which was not insured, Giordani said.

The fire was contained by 7:45 a.m. but the mobile home was a total loss, Giordani said.

Twenty-eight firefighters from Windsor, Rincon Valley, Santa Rosa and Forestville responded to the fire.


Load Comments