Man hospitalized following apartment fire

March 5, 2009 12:17:09 PM PST
A man was hospitalized with smoke inhalation after a fire at an apartment in Hayward Wednesday afternoon, according to a fire battalion chief.

SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you

The fire was reported at about 3:30 p.m. at an apartment complex at 27070 Manon Ave., according to Hayward fire Battalion Chief Garrett Contreras.

The blaze, which was controlled within about 15 minutes, sent a middle-aged man to the hospital with smoke inhalation, Contreras said.

The incident started as a cooking fire in a downstairs apartment that went up through the flue and extended into two second-story apartments, according to Contreras.

He said the blaze caused moderate damage to the two second-story apartments and minimal damage to the apartment where it started. The victim sent to the hospital was a resident in the downstairs apartment, according to Contreras.

The American Red Cross is providing shelter to the 11 residents displaced from the fire.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments