Spider bite helps man walk again

March 16, 2009 12:59:26 PM PDT
A former paraplegic from the Central Valley is walking again and his doctors say a spider bite is the reason why. David Blancarte was paralyzed in a near-fatal motorcycle accident 21years ago.

SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you

The Manteca man had been confined to a wheelchair ever since. Then Blancarte was sent to the hospital, after being bitten by a poisonous brown recluse spider. He spent eight months in rehab. That's when a nurse noticed a spasm in his leg and ran a test on him, using electrical current. Blancarte felt the current in his leg and five days later was able to walk.

Today, Blancarte is out of the hospital and back on his feet. The 48-year-old former boxer and dancer says his best days are still ahead.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments