Mexico murder suspect busted in Redwood

March 30, 2009 12:40:43 PM PDT
A 46-year-old man wanted in connection with two Mexican murder cases that date back more than a decade was arrested last week in Redwood City, the U.S. Marshal Service announced Monday.

SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you

The U.S. Marshals Service received a tip that Jose Guadalupe Cruz-Garfias was in the Bay Area and a warrant was issued for his arrest March 2, according to Deputy U.S. Marshal Darrell Clark.

On Wednesday, Cruz-Garfias was arrested at 1726 Kentfield St. in Redwood City, Clark said. He was booked into Santa Clara County jail while awaiting extradition back to Mexico.

Cruz-Garfias is suspected of fatally shooting Bulmaro Cervantes Cruz in November 1998 while Cruz was shopping with his wife in a store in Paramuen, a town in the Mexican state of Michoacan, according to Clark.

Cruz-Garfias allegedly entered the store and shot Cruz several times, Clark said.

Several days later, he is also believed to have taken part in a double murder, according to Clark.

Mexican authorities contacted the U.S. Marshals Service several years after the murders when it was determined Cruz-Garfias had entered the United States.

Clark said he did not know what connection Cruz-Garfias has to Redwood City.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments