Contra Costa DA forced to cut prosectutions

April 21, 2009 11:56:41 AM PDT
The Contra Costa District Attorney's office is announcing tough changes because of budget cuts.

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7

The department will lay off six deputy DAs at the end of the month, and will stop prosecuting certain types of cases.

The DA says, because of the layoffs, his office will no longer prosecute misdemeanor drug offenses, which police consider anything less than a gram of methamphetamine, cocaine or heroine.

The DA will also stop prosecuting non drunk driving or traffic offenses, misdemeanor property crimes, assault or battery cases and, trespassing cases.

Last month, the county board of supervisors approved a budget that cut $50 million from country programs including law enforcement.

The DA's office says in addition to the six being cut now 11 more attorneys will be let go at the end of the year.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget

Load Comments