Suspicious two-alarm fire in Concord

April 24, 2009 1:39:44 PM PDT
A two-alarm fire in Concord caused about $75,000 in damage to a building and was controlled in under an hour Thursday night, according to the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7 News

The fire was reported at about 10:20 p.m. at 2151 Arnold Industrial Way, Battalion Chief Dave George said today.

George said the incident began as a grass fire, but winds of up to 35 mph pushed the blaze toward debris near a building and eventually burned part of the building itself.

The fire was under control by about 11:10 p.m., as well as a separate brush fire that had been sparked about 700 feet downwind from the original blaze, according to George.

The fire caused about $75,000 in damage and required the presence of 41 firefighters at the scene, George said. No one was injured in the incident.

The cause of the fire is being treated as suspicious, according to George, who said while there was some homeless activity seen in the area, there is no evidence that it was caused intentionally.

"Because it was windy and because the fire slammed up against the building, this fire had trouble written all over it," George said.

"The take-home message as a good reminder is that if you see fire or smell smoke early, give us a call so we can get an early jump on small fires before they become conflagrations," he said.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments