Cherries Jubilant Parfait with Sweet Cashew Cream
or Cherry Jubilant Cobbler with Sweet Cashew Cream
or just the Cherries Jubilant Sauce over ice cream!
Serves 4 - 6
From Cherie Soria's book The Raw Food Diet Revolution
Cooked cobbler has nothing on this easy to prepare, delicious dessert that can be prepared year round using frozen cherries. It takes only a few minutes to make and tastes like grandma baked it. If you are on a weight loss program, make the filling without the nut crumble and you'll still feel like you are eating a dessert you should feel guilty about (but don't have to).
Sweet Cashew Cream
Nut Crumble (optional)
To prepare as a Cherries Jubilant Sauce or Parfait
- Blend 1 cup of the cherries with all the dates and lemon juice. Stir the mixture into the remaining cherries.
- To make the Sweet Cashew Cream, blend all ingredients in a blender and refrigerate until serving.
- To assemble as a Cherries Jubilant Parfait, place 2 tablespoons of the Sweet Cashew Cream in the bottom of a wine glass or other parfait glass, and top with 3 tablespoons of the Cherries Jubilant Sauce. Repeat, adding another 2 tablespoons of the Sweet Cashew Cream and another 3 Tablespoons of the Cherries Jubilant.
- Make the nut crumble by processing the almonds, walnuts, and Brazil nuts in a food processor outfitted with the "S" blade, until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Separate the dates and distribute them evenly over the nuts. Process again until the mixture just begins to stick together. Do not over process.
- Follow directions for step 1 and 2 of Cherries Jubilant Parfait, above.
- To assemble the cobbler, place the Cherries Jubilant in a shallow glass baking dish and press the nut crumble lightly on top.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or chilled, with a scoop of cobbler Sweet Cashew Cream. Will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Raw food revolutionary Cherie Soria, founder and director of Living Light Culinary Arts Institute, has taught vegetarian culinary arts for more than 35 years. Author of several books, including the classic Angel Foods: Healthy Recipes for Heavenly Bodies, and her latest book The Raw Food Revolution Diet, Cherie began her love affair with food at the age of 12. After studying with Dr. Ann Wigmore in 1991, Cherie became fascinated with translating live foods into a new gourmet raw cuisine. Cherie has personally trained many of the world's top raw food chefs and teachers-graduates of Living Light Culinary Arts Institute are a virtual 'who's who' in raw culinary arts. Cherie, highly regarded as a speaker and culinary presenter in the international vegetarian community, is affectionately known as the "mother" of gourmet raw cuisine. At 60, she was awarded her third black belt in karate, and she is still as trim as she was in high school-a beautiful example of the benefits of the raw vegan diet. Students from more than 37 countries have come to enjoy the professional program offered at Living Light Culinary Arts Institute. She and husband Dan Ladermann have four eco friendly businesses on the Mendocino Coast of Northern California, including Living Light Marketplace, the award winning Living Light Caf?, and the historic Living Light Inn. For more information, visit www.RawFoodChef.com.