SWAT find suspected gunman dead

June 2, 2009 12:22:46 PM PDT
A shelter-in-place warning issued late Monday has been canceled this morning after a Pittsburg police SWAT team entered a home to locate a reported gunman, and found a man dead from a single gunshot wound, police said.

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
CRIME MAPS: Track crime in your neighborhood
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7 News

Officers responded to a call at around 9:40 p.m. Monday from a woman who said she had been held at gunpoint at her home in the 1900 block of Morro Drive, Pittsburg police Lt. Brian Addington said. The woman told police her ex-husband had forcibly entered with a handgun and held her against her will for more than an hour, threatening to kill her.

The woman told police she had escaped uninjured with her 10-year-old daughter, but the armed man remained inside her home, Addigton said. A shelter-in-place warning was issued to residents of the area at around 10:35 p.m. while police responded.

Officers attempted unsuccessfully to make contact with the gunman until 2:30 a.m. this morning, when a SWAT team forced entry and found the 33-year-old man deceased from a single gunshot wound, Addington said.

There were no injuries reported during the incident, which was still under investigation. The suspect's identity was not being released pending notification of his family, Addington said.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments