Overloaded electrical receptor caused fire

July 13, 2009 10:20:10 PM PDT
An overloaded electrical receptor caused a fire that destroyed a two-car garage on Weaverly Drive Sunday night, Petaluma Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Ahlin said this afternoon.

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you

The two-alarm fire caused $80,000 in damage to the structure and $20,000 in damage to the contents, Ahlin said. The detached garage contained storage for family furnishings, an office and an upstairs playroom, Ahlin said.

The residence at 1708 Weaverly Drive sustained some smoke damage and is currently inhabitable because its utilities have been shut off, Ahlin said.

A man living in the home smelled smoke as he and his family were about to go to bed Sunday night at about 10:20 p.m., Ahlin said. Everyone evacuated safely and there were no pets at the residence.

Neither the house nor the garage had working smoke detectors, Ahlin said. About two dozen firefighters controlled the blaze within a half-hour.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments