Soldering iron blamed for hotel fire

July 21, 2009 10:18:35 AM PDT
A five-alarm fire that broke out in an empty San Mateo hotel Saturday night was sparked by a soldering iron being used for renovation work in a second-floor bathroom, a San Mateo fire official said Tuesday.

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7 News

Fire Marshal Michael Leong said the fire traveled up the pipe chase, the vertical space used to house pipes in buildings, all the way up through the roof of the four-story building.

The fire was first reported around 10:45 p.m. Saturday at a hotel at 330 N. Bayshore Blvd. Firefighters had it controlled by 1:10 a.m. Sunday, a fire dispatcher said.

Leong said the blaze caused about $800,000 in structural damage to the hotel. The building was empty because it is being converted from a Howard Johnson hotel to a Holiday Inn, he said.

When workers use soldering torches on pipes, they are required to take precautions to protect the wood behind the pipes from the torch's flame. Leong said the proper precautions had not been taken in this case.

The fire will be officially classified as an accident, Leong said. However, he said, crews were performing the work without permit.

"They had a permit for the exterior work, but did not have a permit for the interior work," he said.

The city has halted the hotel renovation project until the necessary permits have been granted, Leong said.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments