Sulfuric acid spill disrupts nursing home

August 11, 2009 7:26:31 PM PDT
Residents of a San Rafael nursing facility are recovering after being briefly exposed to a toxic chemical.

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7

Emergency teams responded to the Pine Ridge Care Center around 11:15 a.m. Tuesday after a work crew spilled a cleaning product containing sulfuric acid.

Eight residents suffered minor breathing problems and were taken to the hospital.

"They might have some suppressed immune systems already or a medical state where they need some extra care, so it's more precautionary, they had minor respiratory irritations," emergency service manager Steven Hancock said.

A hazardous materials team from the San Rafael Fire Department spent the afternoon cleaning up the spill.

Authorities gave the all clear to reopen just before 3 p.m.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments