3-alarm fire rips through San Leandro building

September 25, 2009 6:18:45 AM PDT
Firefighters in San Leandro began mopping up Friday morning after a massive overnight commercial fire. Flames ripped through a business that builds and repairs electrical motors on Whitney Street.

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you

The fire burned for about an hour and a half beginning at midnight on Thursday before firefighters could get control of it.

There were some hazardous materials inside the woodshop that was burning, but none of the epoxy in the building caught on fire.

Owner Kerry Koffler of Koffler Electrical was notified by an alarm company that the burglar alarm had been tripped.

"It's a little gut-wrenching, but you know, when I saw the area it was coming from I pretty much knew what was burning -- it was our woodshop area," said Koffler. So hopefully the rest of the shop will function OK and we'll be working today."

Approximately 20 percent of the building was damaged by the fire, all of it contained to the woodshop.

No shelter in place order was issued and no one was injured.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments