According to court documents, Gilbert Maines was removed during a closed hearing in El Dorado Superior Court on Thursday. However, Judge Douglas Phimister immediately stayed the decision until another hearing Nov. 30.
Court documents don't say why Maines was removed, but the decision was made the day after the court received unspecified "confidential evidence. Phimister ordered the records sealed.
Phone and e-mail messages to Maines were not immediately returned Monday.
Garrido and her husband, Phillip Garrido, have pleaded not guilty in the Dugard kidnapping.
- Garrido's 1976 rape victim talks to GMA
- Garrido's 1976 rape victim talks to Larry King
- Bone fragment found next to Garrido home
- Police expand search in Garrido case
- Investigators face scrutiny in Dugard case
- Abduction invokes saga of Elizabeth Smart
- 29 charges filed against kidnapping suspects
- Garrido's father: "He's absolutely out of his mind"
- Garrido investigated in prostitute murders
- UC Berkeley police broke Dugard case
- Tahoe girl kidnapped in 1991 found alive
- LINK: FBI podcast about solving Dugard's case
- PHOTOS: Jaycee Lee Dugard's daughters
- RAW VIDEO: RAW: UC Berkeley press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
- AUDIO: Jailhouse interview
- SLIDESHOW: Jaycee Dugard case
- RAW VIDEO: Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. press conference
- RAW VIDEO: El Dorado County press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Dept. of Corrections press conference
- ABC7 EXTRA: Reaction from Dugard's stepfather