- Get a good night sleep and start slowly: It's just like with a diet. If you go headstrong into something you're not going to be able to keep it up. You need to re-train yourself and re-learn. If you want to try running but you have never done it, start by walking and add a little jog into that. You can work up to a run. You have to build on it .
- Proper nutrition: Good nutrition is always part of a training program. You want to eat to support your fitness goals.
- Wear appropriate exercise clothing: including properly fitting shoes.
- Keep to a schedule: Calendar out your walks and runs. Get together with your friend and train at least two or three times a week to start. Start with 10 to 15 minutes and work up to a 30 to 40 minute program.
- Consult your doctor first: Review your health with your health provider before starting any training or exercise program.
Anthony (AJ) Calderon is a Bay Area Personal Trainer and spokesperson for the American Heart Association. He is the Head Coach of the AHA's new Start! Training half-marathon training program, and has been a personal trainer since 2001.
He has run nine marathons and many half-marathons, 10ks and 5ks
You can get in touch with Anthony Calderon and read his fitness blog at aj4fitness.spaces.live.com
For more helpful tips information you can go to starttrainingbayarea.kintera.org