The gas leak was reported about 7:15 a.m. at JDSU, located at 80 Rose Orchard Way, fire Capt. Chuck Rangel said.
The leak was deemed under control about 10:15 a.m. after fire crews determined there was no flammable gas present, Rangel said.
He said employees reported the leak after they felt something slippery on the floor and alarms went off in the building. They suspected it could be phosphine gas leaking from a service cart that also contains hydraulic fluid, Rangel said.
A piece of equipment from a cylinder on the cart may have leaked and activated the alarm, Rangel said. The gas valve to the building was shut off pending further investigation by building inspectors, he said.
About 25 employees of the company that were evacuated due to a potential inhalation hazard were allowed to return, Rangel said. No injuries have been reported.