Firefighters respond to hazmat incident near SJSU

August 10, 2010 12:36:57 PM PDT
Firefighters responded to a possible hazardous materials incident near San Jose State University today, a fire department spokesman said.

The incident was reported at 10:38 a.m. at the Campus Village parking garage, located at 355 S. 10th St., near a 10-story student housing apartment complex, Capt. Chuck Rangel said.

An alarm went off in a room containing a chlorine pump on the first level of the garage, Rangel said. A pump that pushes chlorine to the fountain malfunctioned, causing a strong odor and activating the alarm, Rangel said.

The garage was evacuated and occupants of the apartment complex were ordered to shelter-in-place as a safety measure, Rangel said.

One person was treated at the scene for watery eyes.

The incident was over and the shelter in place was lifted by 12:30 p.m.

ABC7 News contributed to this story uReport:
Take part in the news. Upload videos and photos to uReport.abc7news.com or e-mail them to uReport@kgo-tv.com.


Load Comments