San Bruno residents gather for latest pipeline update

October 30, 2010 11:38:55 AM PDT
It's been seven weeks since the pipeline explosion in San Bruno killed eight people and destroyed 37 homes. On Friday night, residents came together to hear the latest information on the investigation and the status of the pipeline that runs through their neighborhood.

San Bruno residents put up a united front at the night's town hall meeting. Despite written assurances by PG&E earlier this week that the transmission pipeline that exploded last month will be moved, many people wore t-shirts urging the utility to relocate the pipe.

"The neighbors are sticking together and we're going to keep the pressure on until that pipe is gone," said San Bruno resident Kathy Derenzi.

This is the second town hall meeting since the pipeline explosion and representatives from PG&E and a wide range of agencies came to give updates.

"You're going to see a significant more activity from PG&E's blue trucks. We are continuing to patrol and inspect our pipelines on a regular basis and we will be increasing that as we get forward into the winter season," said PG&E Vice President Kirk Johnson.

The neighborhood looks much different than it did in the days following the blast. The debris has been cleared and the lots have been cleaned up.

"We were going to leave the property so that a 3-year-old could walk on it. We succeeded on that. All soil samples from the properties showing that we're well below what we consider to be backyard level in soil," said Dean Peterson from the Environmental Health Department.

As to what caused the explosion, San Bruno residents are still waiting for an answer. A representative with the National Transportation Safety Board told the audience it's conducting a number of tests.


Load Comments