Motel room fire started near heating unit

November 22, 2010 2:04:31 PM PST
A fire that injured a man in a motel room this morning started in or near the room's heating and air conditioning unit, Corte Madera Fire Chief Roger Sprehn said.

A 52-year-old man suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Marin General Hospital, Sprehn said.

The one-alarm fire caused $15,000 in damage and was confined to the motel room at America's Best Value Inn at 1595 Casa Buena Drive, Sprehn said.

Sprehn said the fire in Room 111 was unintentional, but the cover of the ceiling smoke detector in the room was removed and placed on a shelf and the smoke detector had a dead battery. It's unknown if the tenant removed the cover, Sprehn said.

"It's a common finding," Sprehn said.

The fire was reported at 7:26 a.m. and controlled at 7:42 a.m., Sprehn said.


Load Comments