AT&T launches text, driving safety campaign

December 27, 2010 10:37:33 AM PST
A major phone company is launching a new awareness campaign Monday about the dangers of texting and driving.

AT&T is releasing a new documentary featuring stories from individuals whose lives have changed by texting while driving. It will be distributed nationwide to schools, safety organizations, and government agencies as part of the company's, "It Can Wait" campaign.

"You are 23 times more likely to get into an accident if you are texting and driving. We don't want anyone to use our technology unless they're safe," U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said.

LaHood says distracted driving is an epidemic. He says of the 5,500 people killed last year due to distracted driving, the largest number of fatalities occurred among young people under the age of 20.


Load Comments