Last month 7 On Your Side reported the National Resources Defense Council won a settlement mandating a warning label on flea collars sold in California.
On Tuesday, the group took it a step further, asking the environmental protection agency to ban cancer causing pesticides from flea collars altogether.
"The chemicals is not just bad for fleas, it's also toxic for pets and pet owners. Once the chemical is on the pets fur, people, pet owners, particularly children, can come into contact with those residues on the fur," says Mariam Rotkin-Ellman from the National Resources Defense Council.
The National Resources Defense Council is particularly concerned about the pesticide propoxur It says the pesticide can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and even death in humans.
The NRDC says symptoms are similar in pets. The pet industry maintains the collars are safe.