Barking dog helps resident escape garage fire

January 21, 2011 2:40:18 PM PST
A barking dog was able to help a resident escape a house fire that destroyed $50,000 in property in Santa Cruz early this morning, according to the Santa Cruz Fire Department.

Firefighters responded at about 3:20 a.m. to a house fire on 420 Olive St., and arriving crews found a garage that was fully engulfed in flames.

The blaze was quickly contained with no other structures threatened, and a resident inside was able to escape thanks to the warnings of a barking dog.

An investigation revealed that the garage, which was detached from the house, was accidentally set ablaze when a candle fell onto a bed.

The 400-square-foot space had been converted into a living space for the homeowner's daughter.

The blaze caused about $30,000 in damage to the structure and $20,000 to the family's belongings, but the help of their pet helped saved belongings estimated at $500,000, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported.

Load Comments