3-alarm fire caused by boy playing with matches

February 22, 2011 11:45:42 PM PST
Firefighters struggled tonight to extinguish a fire at a two-story condominium building in San Jose that was fueled by an active gas leak, a fire captain said.

The three-alarm blaze damaged multiple units at 299 Cartago Court and injured a woman after it broke out at about 8 p.m., Capt. Steve Forman said. The woman suffered minor smoke inhalation and minor first-degree burns.

A gas leak on the second floor of the building made it difficult to contain the fire, and all of the department's units responded, Forman said.

The fire was extinguished at about 10:10 p.m., but crew members were still on the scene working on hot spots as of about 11 p.m., a fire dispatcher said.

Forman said the fire was caused by a juvenile playing with matches who apparently lit a couch on fire on the first floor.

The boy's mother saw him playing with the matches and took them away, but when she returned she saw the fire, Forman said.

Load Comments