Shelter-in-place order lifted in Santa Rosa

May 5, 2011 11:57:33 AM PDT
A shelter-in-place order has been lifted in Santa Rosa after some scary moments Thursday morning, because of a debris fire possibly involving hazardous materials. People living near Kerney Street and Lance Drive were affected.

Residents called to report a fire in a man's backyard just before 7 a.m. Thursday. When firefighters knocked on the man's door, he had no idea that there was a fire burning in his side yard. Firefighters discovered a tank in the man's yard that was "off-gassing." That was when the shelter-in place was ordered.

The leak has been stopped and it was identified as hydrogen chloride anhydrous. It is a toxic gas that is used for farming. The homeowner had found the bin on the side of the road and had plans to recycle it. Now he will have to pay for the proper disposal of the tank.

No one was hurt, some firefighters were checked out for possible exposure to the gas. They were complaining about headaches, but everyone is okay.

The shelter-in-place was lifted about 10 a.m.

Load Comments