Coroner: Hospital error contributed to woman's death

June 30, 2011 6:49:21 PM PDT
The Marin County Coroner has determined that an accidental error by hospital staff contributed to the death of a patient.

The 52-year-old woman died on May 5 moments after the Marin General Hospital staff inserted a breathing tube into her throat.

The coroner found the staff failed to verify if the ventilator was working before leaving the room of patient Colette Stott.

In a statement to ABC7 News, a spokesman for the hospital said corrective actions were taken after the incident and that "every staff member who works in critical care environments has been educated on new safety steps."