5-year-old girl saves choking grandmother in SSF

July 18, 2011 11:46:52 AM PDT
A South San Francisco grandmother may be spoiling her granddaughter just a little bit more. The five-year-old saved her grandma's life with an action that was no easy feat for a little girl.

Lee-Ann McCurdy was watching her granddaughter Kaylee Schirmer when she began to choke on a chicken bone and could not breathe. That is when Kaylee started whacking her on the back.

"My nana was eating a piece of chicken and she was choking and she couldn't breathe and she couldn't talk and her last word was 'harder' and she was about to faint, but I gave her a few big ones and then it came out of her mouth," said Kaylee.

"I couldn't really believe it at first that such a tiny girl had such a power punch in her and I was just so truly happy that I could breathe and be with them both, and I was just extremely proud," said Lee-Ann.

Lee-Ann said that her granddaughter is a hero, and Kaylee said that her nana is very dear to her.

The family decided to go public with the story so that families with young children can learn from this.

Load Comments