Grass fire near Hayward golf course contained

August 2, 2011 11:20:06 PM PDT
A five-acre grass fire just south of Stonebrae Golf and Country Club in Hayward today was caused entirely by accident, according to Hayward fire Capt. Thor Poulsen.

Metal equipment used by country club workers to weed-whack the hillside gave off some sparks that caused the blaze, Poulsen said.

He said the workers attempted but were unable to extinguish the fire in time, and reported it at 2 p.m.

The slope of the hill allowed the fire to spread quickly, as did the increasingly strong winds, which kicked up to 10 to 15 mph as the afternoon wore on, Poulsen said.

The fire was contained by 3:19 p.m. and is now out, according to Poulsen. However, crews will remain on scene for the next hour to search for any remaining hot spots.

No one was injured, and no homes were threatened.

Load Comments