Naso wants to postpone preliminary hearing

Joseph Naso
August 18, 2011 5:24:09 PM PDT
Alleged serial killer Joseph Naso wants to postpone his Sept. 6 preliminary hearing on charges he killed four Northern California women between 1977 and 1994, Marin County District Attorney Ed Berberian said Thursday morning.

A hearing on Naso's request is scheduled for 9 a.m. Monday.

It appears Naso, 77, of Reno, is still trying to retain advisory counsel, Berberian said.

Marin County Superior Court Judge Andrew Sweet denied Naso's request last month for advisory counsel at public expense.

Berberian told the judge Naso has $1 million in liquid assets and can afford to hire an attorney.

A report on Naso's finances by deputy county counsel Thomas Lyons concluded Naso has the money to hire a lawyer. The Marin County Public Defender's Office also said Naso does not qualify for its services at public expense.

Naso has maintained he is having difficulty accessing his assets and cannot afford a lawyer.

Naso is charged with the murders of Roxene Roggasch, 18, of Oakland; Carmen Colon, 22, an East Bay resident; Pamela Parsons, 38; and Tracey Tafoya, 31, both of Yuba County.

Documents regarding the probable cause for Naso's arrest for the murders state the four victims were working as prostitutes. It is believed they met Naso while he was working as a self-employed photographer.


Load Comments