San Rafael house fire started by lamp on mattress

October 8, 2011 11:58:22 AM PDT
A San Rafael house fire appears to have started when a lamp began burning on a mattress and bedding on Friday night, a San Rafael Fire Department battalion chief said.

Battalion Chief Jim Lydon said firefighters responded to the fire at 255 D St. around 9:35 p.m. The home had been divided into multiple living units, with the fire contained to a unit on the ground floor in the rear of the building.

Crews opened several walls on the main floor above the unit to ensure the fire did not spread, Lydon said.

A male resident noticed smoke and attempted to extinguish the mattress fire by smothering it before trying to remove the mattress from the building.

The mattress continued to burn as he was moving it, and it got stuck in the doorway. This was when the fire spread to other parts of the house and inside the house, according to Lydon.

The resident was treated at the scene for burn injuries and smoke inhalation. He was taken to the hospital for further treatment.

Fire crews believe there was not a functioning smoke detector in the room where the fire originated.

Crews remained at the scene Friday night to check for hotspots.

Load Comments