Three displaced by two-alarm house fire in San Jose

October 27, 2011 9:44:39 AM PDT
Firefighters in San Jose extinguished a two-alarm fire this morning that displaced three adults.

Around 6:10 a.m., multiple callers reported the fire after seeing smoke and flames coming from inside a house located in the 200 block of Checkers Drive, San Jose Fire Department Capt. Mary Gutierrez said.

Fire crews responded at 6:16 a.m., reporting heavy fire and smoke coming from the home. Firefighters had the fire under control by 7:31 a.m., Gutierrez said.

The three occupants were able to evacuate the house without injuries, Gutierrez said.

The blaze reportedly was caused by an accidental stove fire. One of the occupants was cooking, left the stove on and left the room. The cabinets caught fire and began to spread to the rest of the house. The smoke detector awoke the other two residents, Gutierrez said.

The damages are estimated to be $200,000. The Red Cross arrived to aid the displaced occupants.

Load Comments