73-year-old man critically injured in apartment fire

October 28, 2011 11:25:33 AM PDT
A 73-year-old man was critically injured in an apartment fire in Antioch early this morning, Contra Costa County Fire Protection District officials said.

The two-alarm fire was reported at 12:37 a.m. at an apartment in the 200 block of Robert Street, a fire dispatcher said.

Firefighters rescued the man, who accidentally sparked the fire when he discarded a cigarette into a paper wastebasket next to a chair he then fallen asleep in, Fire Marshal Lewis Broschard said.

The victim was taken to a hospital to be treated for injuries that were considered life-threatening as of this morning, Broschard said.

The blaze was eventually extinguished at 1:08 a.m., the dispatcher said.

Broschard said the fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the apartment.

Load Comments