Kitchen fire causes apartment building evacuation

November 1, 2011 8:39:01 AM PDT
A fire at a Hayward apartment complex early this morning prompted the evacuation of about 75 residents, a Hayward fire captain said.

The blaze was reported at 1:31 a.m. at a three-story building with a ground-level parking garage at 22282 City Center Drive, fire Capt. Thor Poulsen said.

Firefighters arrived several minutes later and began to evacuate the building, and a second alarm was called.

The fire, which started in the kitchen of one of the units, was knocked down by 1:48 a.m., Poulsen said.

The blaze was confined to the one apartment, which was gutted and appears to be a total loss, the fire captain said.

The resident who lives in the destroyed unit was displaced, but the building manager found another place for that person in the complex, Poulsen said.

The other residents were allowed back into their homes after 2 a.m.

Fifteen firefighters responded to the blaze, and crews remained at the scene until after 3 a.m., Poulsen said.


Load Comments