Family of six displaced by kitchen fire

December 21, 2011 12:07:35 PM PST
A family of six was displaced by a kitchen fire at their Pittsburg home Tuesday night, a Contra Costa Fire Protection District official said today.

The blaze was reported on Atherton Circle at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, and firefighters arrived a short time later to find smoke coming from the home's attic, Fire Marshal Lewis Broschard said.

Broschard said a woman who was in the home when the fire started was able to exit safely. The five other residents were not at home.

Firefighters contained the blaze in about 20 minutes, but the fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the home, leaving it uninhabitable.

Broschard said that fire, which started in the oven area, was preventable.

"Cooking fires are probably the number-one cause for fires in single-family dwellings, and people really need to take caution ... making sure they're monitoring what's on the stove or oven and not leaving it unattended for extended periods of time," he said.


Load Comments