Part of Oakridge Mall evacuated for hazmat situation

December 23, 2011 4:31:48 PM PST
A section of Oakridge Mall in San Jose has been evacuated Friday afternoon because of a report of a hazardous vapor from cleaning materials in a bathroom, a fire department spokesman said.

The incident was reported at 2 p.m. at the movie theater on the second floor of the mall at 925 Blossom Hill Road, fire spokesman Mike Van Elgort said.

Cleaning products in the bathroom apparently combined to create a dangerous vapor, causing authorities to evacuate the entire second floor of the mall, Van Elgort said.

A moviegoer was transported to a hospital for minor respiratory injuries from the vapor, he said.

Santa Clara County and San Jose hazardous materials teams were at the scene as of shortly after 3 p.m. to investigate and eliminate the hazard, Van Elgort said.


Load Comments