Dryer blamed for 1-alarm fire that displaced family

January 11, 2012 1:40:55 PM PST
A family was displaced by a one-alarm fire that caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to their San Jose home Wednesday morning, a fire captain said.

The family had put a load of laundry in the dryer and left their Laswell Avenue home. They returned home at about 10:55 a.m. to find smoke rising from the residence, fire Capt. Rob Brown said.

Crews responded within six minutes and saw smoke coming from the back of the home, where the kitchen and laundry area are located, Brown said.

At about 11:40 a.m., firefighters had the fire under control, with most damage occurring near where the fire started and smoke damage throughout the home.

Brown said the cause of the fire is still under investigation but that it appears to have started in or near the dryer.

"If people don't keep the lint traps clean, they'll overheat and set the fire," he said.

No injuries were reported.

Load Comments