Missing Calif. teen, boyfriend turn themselves in

(KGO)
August 5, 2012 11:18:57 AM PDT
A 16-year-old girl and her boyfriend, missing since a July 28 double homicide in Monterey County, turned themselves in at the United States border in San Diego, according to the Monterey County Sheriff's Office.

An Amber Alert for Eunice Serrato, 16, was cancelled and her family notified after she turned herself in at 10:30 a.m., the Sheriff's Office said. She was taken into custody along with Juan Manuel Salazar, Jr., 19, and investigators are traveling to San Diego County to return them to Monterey County.

Investigators have said they believe Serrato was abducted and taken to Mexico by Salazar following the deaths of two men at the San Ardo home where Serrato was staying. Salazar has been called a person of interest in connection with the homicide.

The bodies of Hector Reyes, 22, and Daniel Fraga, 25, were discovered around 10 p.m. on July 28 inside a home at 62240 Railroad Ave., according to the sheriff's office.

The capture of Salazar and return of Serrato is the second break in the case in less than 24 hours.

Investigators also arrested Maria Delia Aviles-Rodriquez, 36, of Paso Robles and King city around 7:30 p.m. Friday in connection with the case. She was arrested on suspicion of aiding and abetting kidnapping, child abuse, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and the destruction of evidence.

Search warrants were served on Aviles-Rodriquez' residence in Pas Robles as well as for her vehicle. Aviles-Rodriquez was booked into Monterey County Jail.

Investigators initially said they believed Serrato had been kidnapped by both Salazar and his father, Juan Manuel Salazar, Sr., 39, but the older man turned himself in on July 29. He was still described as a person of interest in the case earlier this week, but was not taken into custody.

The investigation is ongoing, and officials say other arrests are expected.


Load Comments