OAKLAND, Calif. --Firefighters are trying to determine the cause of a fire that badly damaged a home in the Oakland hills.
The two-alarm blaze broke out just before 6 p.m. Thursday. It turned the house on Norfolk Road into a chimney, with smoke billowing out.The home belongs to a UC Berkeley professor who was on his way home with his kids when the fire erupted. Firefighters believe the fire may have smoldered for hours in the wooden braces in the basement for earthquake protection. The rest of the house suffered major smoke and water damage. The professor says he's just happy no one was injured.