Man wins $7.2 million in suit over 'popcorn lung'

September 20, 2012 10:24:32 AM PDT
A Denver man says he's giving the money to charity after winning $7.2 million in a lawsuit over "popcorn lung."

Wayne Watson sued various food companies after being diagnosed with "popcorn lung" in 2007. He says he developed the respiratory condition from years of eating microwave popcorn. Watson argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.

"They thought that no consumer would ever be exposed to enough of it to make a difference. Well, they rolled the dice and they lost," he said.

Defense attorneys had argued Watson's health problems stemmed from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.

Kroger Co., which was also found liable in the suit for selling the popcorn at its grocery stores, plans to appeal the decision.

Load Comments