Dryer fire damages home

November 21, 2012 12:55:29 PM PST
Palo Alto fire officials are issuing a safety warning to residents today after a fire in a clothes dryer caused extensive damage to a home on Tuesday.

Crews responded to a one-alarm fire in the 200 block of Margarita Avenue just before 2 p.m., after the people who lived there returned from Thanksgiving grocery shopping to find the house filled with smoke, fire officials said.

Firefighters put out the fire with a garden house and removed the dryer from the home, according to the fire department.

There was extensive smoke damage throughout the home, and fire damage to the dryer and utility room.

The fire department recommends that residents consider having their clothing dryers and ducting cleaned annually. Residents are also advised to replace their smoke detectors every 10 years and change the batteries each year.


Load Comments