Virginia police say the 13-year-olds were trying to poison their math teacher with the liquid. They confessed to putting the hand sanitizer in her mug at least twice.
The teacher never caught on, but she did start to feel sick and didn't know why.
"My stomach would bother me, I was running a low grade temperature, I was just exhausted by the time I got home," Jane Miller said.
The teens are facing felony charges of attempted poisoning.
Doctors say drinking hand sanitizer can be lethal. The teacher's hand sanitizer was 65 percent ethyl alcohol -- the same as a 130-proof drink.