Tiny wire from BBQ brush lands Seattle teen in surgery

May 11, 2013 12:23:34 PM PDT
A medical emergency involving a Seattle teenager is prompting a warning about the wire brushes used to clean barbeque grills.

Doctors performed exploratory surgery on 16-year-old Tristin Beck after he complained of severe stomach pain for several days.

During the procedure, doctors spotted a piece of metal in the teen's small intestine.

It turned out to be a wire bristle from a grill brush that came off and stuck to the chicken that Beck ate at a family barbecue

"I have really bad luck just because of this one in a million chance happening to me, but have really good luck because they found it early and have good doctors that put me into the O.R. And got it out," Beck said.

Strange as it sounds, it does happen.

In fact, the Centers for Disease Control recently put out a warning about old barbecue brushes and tiny metal bristles rubbing off.

Load Comments