"I firmly believe that it does save lives and that's one of the main reasons that I do the job," Officer Kevin MacDougald said.
Officer MacDougald of the San Rafael Police Department has received awards from Mothers Against Drunk Driving in each of the last six years, and could receive another this year.
Early Thursday morning he made his 100th DUI arrest of the year after pulling over a driver who ran a red light.
Officer MacDougald's commanding officer told us his extra efforts are making a difference.
"It's made our community a lot safer," Cpl. Justin Graham said. "He's helped probably keep a lot of people discouraged from getting on the street intoxicated and that just goes to his level of dedication."
"It's just something that I like to do and I've done for a long time I think I'm pretty good at it," Officer MacDougald said.
He adds that he looks for obvious violations like speeding or running a light or stop sign, noting that about half the people he arrests for DUI thought they were okay to drive at the time.
To avoid Officer MacDougald, the San Rafael Police Department recommends these simple tips for a safe Holiday Season:
* Plan a safe way home before the fun begins.
* Before drinking, designate a sober driver.
* If you're impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation.
* If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don't hesitate to report it - Call 911! And remember, "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over."
* If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
* For more information, please visit www.nhtsa.gov/drivesober..