There was no leak at the facility, but there was a risk that the tank could begin leaking, prompting the warning until the tank was emptied of chlorine, county health services spokeswoman Vicky Balladares said.
Those living within 1 mile south of 901 Loveridge Road in Pittsburg were advised to close their doors and windows as a precaution due to a potential leak in the tank belonging to K2 Solutions. The tank is located at the at the Dow Chemical, Co. site, where K2 Solutions rents space, according to county health services officials.
Anyone living in that area with a preexisting condition or respiratory sensitivity was advised to consider leaving the area.
Chlorine gas can affect the lungs and in high concentrations, may cause severe injuries, according to county health officials.
County health officials recommend that residents keep up with health emergencies through their posts on Facebook and Twitter and on their website, www.cococws.us.