Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward

A three-year-old boy was thrown from the second story of an apartment fire in Hayward late last night.
March 7, 2014 11:27:29 AM PST
A Hayward grandmother and step-grandfather had to throw their three-year-old grandson out of a second story window to escape an apartment fire last night.

The boy's great aunt jumped just before and was below to catch him. The aunt said she used both arms to catch him and bent her legs to absorb the blow. The grandparents then jumped to escape; they broke some bones from hitting the concrete sidewalk. The little boy, Maurice, was transported to a hospital for evaluation, but was uninjured.

Maurice's mother wasn't there. This is the home of her mother, Maurice's grandmother. Jamesha Fitzpatrick came by this morning to see what her young son experienced.

"That's a high drop I was hysterical just picturing it -- this is crazy," said Jamesha Fitzpatrick.

The fire was first reported on the 22000 block of 7th Street just before 11 p.m. The blaze was knocked down at about 11:15 p.m.

Firefighters said the apartment is a total loss. The three other apartments in the building sustained smoke and water damage but were salvageable. Twelve residents in the building were displaced in the blaze. Firefighters said the blaze started because of an unattended pot on the stove.

Also this morning, another fire broke out at a carport nearby the apartment. Nine vehicles were burned and at least seven of the vehicles are destroyed. Firefighters were able to stop the blaze quickly before it jumped to nearby homes. Investigators said the two fires were not related.

Bay City News has contributed to this report.


Load Comments