NEW YORK CITY --The man believed to be behind weekend bombings in Chelsea, Seaside Park and Elizabeth has been taken into custody following a incident with police in Linden, New Jersey. He has been charged with attempted murder over police shootout.
Law enforcement sources say Ahmad Khan Rahami was captured following gunfire. He is reportedly alive but wounded, and two police officers were also hurt. It appears one was shot, but neither sustained life-threatening injuries.
Sources say that federal prosecutors have already drafted charges against Rahami, and they could be announced as early as Monday. It is unclear exactly what the charges would be, but sources say they are likely related to use of IEDs.
FBI and other law enforcement descended on an Elmora Avenue home early Monday morning where Rahami either currently lives or used to live.
The FBI had earlier released a wanted poster for the 28-year-old Rahami, who was said to be operating a 2003 Blue Honda Civic bearing NJ registration D63EYB. He may be related to five people who were taken into custody for questioning by the FBI in connection with Saturday night's bombing in Chelsea.
FBI and other law enforcement descended on an Elmora Avenue home in Elizabeth early Monday morning where Rahami either currently lives or used to live.
Authorities say all three of the bombs in Chelsea and Seaside Park had flip phones, even though there are some differences in design. The Seaside explosive device involved pipe bombs tied together, and sources say it was timed to detonate when the race began.
But the two bombs in Chelsea on 23rd and 27th Streets have some of the signatures seen from bomb-making designs posted online, including in Al Qaeda's Inspire magazine.
PHOTOS: Explosion in Chelsea
Both Chelsea bombs utilized Christmas lights for wiring, and the pressure cooker bomb found intact had a label on it for the chemical Tannerite, an explosive often used for target practice that can be picked up in many sporting goods stores. That pressure cooker bomb was described by a source as being extremely heavy, containing shrapnel. Authorities say that the investigation is ongoing, particularly when it comes to accomplices or other incidents.
"There are similarities among the bombs," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "They are not all identical, but there are certain similarities with how the bombs are put together, with certain elements, etc, suggesting there might have been a common linkage or common person behind all the bombs."
RELATED: 5 people taken into custody in connection with New York explosion
Cuomo said he has been updating President Obama on the investigation, and the president was also in contact with Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Twenty-nine people were injured in the blast that occurred on West 23rd Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenues at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
"This was an intentional act, but we do not know the motivation," de Blasio said over the weekend. "That's what we have to do more work on. We know there was a bombing. We will be very careful and patient to get to the full truth here."
VIDEO: NYC explosion captured by surveillance video
Late Sunday, five suspicious devices were found near a train station in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Elizabeth Mayor Christian Bollwage said the devices were found in a bag in a trash can by two men who reported seeing wires and a pipe coming out of the package. One of the devices exploded as a bomb squad used a robot to try to disarm it. No injuries were reported.
By Monday morning, authorities had connected all the incidents, for which Rahami is believed to responsible.
Click here for full coverage on the Chelsea bombing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.